New Viking, Roman and Stone Age Heritage Education Days at CONKERS 2019
CONKERS is offering KS2 children the opportunity to learn more about the Romans, Vikings and Stone Age through a range of interactive workshops. We are proud to be working with the Yeo Theatre Company and are extremely excited to be able to offer a mix of theme days and dates for you to choose from in March 2019. Book early to avoid disappointment!!
There are six dates to choose from in March 2019
- Romans 6th / 7th March
- Viking 13th / 14th March
- Stone Age 20th / 21st March
We’re looking forward to welcoming you and your class to CONKERS soon for your Viking or Roman or Stone Age Heritage Theme Day. Feedback from previous years has told us that many teachers like to prepare their class for an educational visit to CONKERS, because, the children get so much more out of the day if they have touched on the topics in class beforehand. So here is a brief description of the workshops your class will be enjoying in a few weeks’ time when they visit CONKERS.
Our Viking Days
- Live like a Viking. Children explore the roles and tasks of the different members of the Viking family and compare this to their own families. They discover what family life was like.
- Viking Beliefs. Come and listen to a traditional Viking Saga. Children discover why storytelling was a very important part of Viking culture: stories of brave Vikings, and of the many gods and how they are worshipped.
- A Viking Voyage. Why did the Vikings take to the seas and make such far journeys? Where did they go and how did they know where they were? The children take up the oars and explore life on board.
- Viking Raiders. Do you have what it takes to be a Viking Raider? Learn about Viking battle tactics, weapons, and what made them really go berserk!
- Viking Traders. What makes a market a market? And how is money being used? At the market, children explore the different food and goods for sale and re-enact the trading process.
- Viking Clothing. When Winter is 'Looming', make sure you've got the skills to create warm and comfortable clothes.
Our Roman Day
- Meet a Centurion - join the Legion! The Britons are revolting, and we need new soldiers to defeat them. Find out what it takes to join the most disciplined army in the ancient world.
- Life under the Romans - meet a slave, and learn about life in a Roman Villa. Also, discover the exotic foods the Romans brought with them.
- Building a Better Britain - children compare and contrast a number of Roman inventions to do with bathing, road building and central heating and create an aqueduct in competition with each other.
- Meet Boudicca - children have an audience with Queen Boudicca! She tells the story of her life so far and enlists the children into her army.
- Roman Mosaics - what villa is complete without mosaics? Learn how to arrange your tesserae, and make beautiful floors, and works of art.
- Celts & Druids - children meet a British Roman to discover what life was like before the Romans arrived and how it has changed.
Our Stone Age Days
- Meet a Tribe Member - when you enter this workshop, sit down, be quiet and wait to see what is happening!
- Beliefs & Burials - children discuss the beliefs of Stone and Bronze Age peoples and explore their worshipping practices and rituals.
- From Hunters to Farmers - children compare and contrast the difference in lifestyle between hunter gatherers and early farmers. What do they hunt and gather? And what role does technology play?
- Weapons - from picking up a rock, to shooting a missile. Learn how our ancestors developed the tools to hunt and survive, in a dangerous world.
- Trading in Stone Age - a History Explorer takes the children on a journey, following Stone Age peoples on their travels. Where did they go to trade, how did they get there and what were they hoping to trade?
- Grinding Grain - after gathering grains from the fields, the next step is to grind them into flour. Children grind some grain using both a saddle quern and a rotary quern and compare the two. They take their flour back to class.
Timings: The Theme Days run from 10.00am to 2.35pm
Price per child only £9!
For more information or to book your class, please contact the Education Team on 01283 216633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org